Metropolitan Melbourne food courts to stay closed
The Victorian Government has decided that as part of metropolitan Melbourne stage 4 lock downs, food courts in shopping centres are to remain closed. Despite the fact that food and drink businesses in metropolitan Melbourne can stay open for takeaway and delivery only, the Victorian Government has elected to penalise retailers in food courts. As more information becomes available, the NRA will continue to update its list of affected businesses.
The National Retail Association has escalated this issue to a federal level. Now is not the time for the Victorian Government to be punishing COVID affected businesses.
Tasmania announces further support for small business
Round 2 of the Small Business Continuity Grant program will be opening at 12 noon on Monday, 10 August 2020. The Tasmanian Government has allocated a further $2 million to extend the $20 million COVID-19 Small Business Sustainability and Recovery Assistance Package, with grants of $750 available to support eligible small businesses in engaging services of a qualified specialist or consultant to advise them on continuity planning or provide financial advice to assist with business recovery.
ACT Government extending economic survival measures for Canberrans.
Previously announced ACT Government support measures are seeing a welcome extension in a bid to help businesses during the pandemic. Measures include:
- Jobkeeper payments will continue to be exempt from payroll tax.
- The Government will also extend the interest free payroll tax deferral for businesses in the construction industry to December 2020.
- A payroll tax waiver will remain in place for three months to December 2020 for businesses unable to trade, or able to trade on a very restricted basis only, due to ACT Government restrictions.
- Commercial property owners significantly affected by COVID-19 can continue to defer their rates (interest free) for a further six months until 1 April 2021.
- Commercial landlords (with an AUV less than $2 million) and owner operated businesses can continue to apply for rates rebates for an additional three months to December 2020 if their tenants or themselves are significantly affected by COVID-19. Tenants and owner-operators with the greatest need will continue to receive the highest level of support through the tiered category system.
To find out more visit the business and work hub on the COVID-19 website at: covid19.act.gov.au/business-and-work